Looking back and moving forward.
Five years ago I overloaded the truck at Lowe’s with the materials for the shed/tiny home I planned to build to be a storage place for all my tools and stuff and also where I would stay while I was up here building.
Now I have the cabin, solar power, spring water, faucets, drain lines, a toilet, multiple means of heating and cooking, streaming tv and internet on my phone’s hotspot, and more peace and serenity than I could have imagined.
I’ve had setbacks and losses. Almost a year ago I said goodbye to the doggy. She loved it up here and I loved watching her love it. Miss her a lot. Had the time I was in the middle of insulating the floor and crazy storms came out of nowhere and nearly tore the cabin apart. I had logs nearly break my body and spirit as I dropped them and moved them into position by hand and, by choice, alone. Uncountable scars and scrapes and cuts.
But never a thought of quitting. This old body doesn’t move like it did 5 years ago. And certainly doesn’t move like it did 30 years ago. Taking breaks and changing pace, is not quitting. I’m working on savoring more of the work I have done versus looking at what I still want to do. I think that is my life lesson in this.
I started 2026 with the idea and focus that “Less is more”. Even here at Top Knot….less tasking is more enjoying.
Every challenge has strengthened my resiliency. My body may say it’s time for a break or a day off, but my spirit is more steely and resolved than ever. A lifetime of overcoming challenges, obstacles, poor choices on my part, life-threatening abuse, the cruelty and skulduggery of others builds a strength that far exceeds what I may have physically.
I have learned much. There isn’t anything I CAN’T do. The list of what I WANT to do gets smaller. But, I know I can do anything I want.









Comments
Post a Comment